NEWTON EVENTS: Tribute to Michael Jackson, Movie Night in the Park
Some upcoming public events:
friday june 10
• Live at Legion concert with Who’s Bad (tribute to Michael Jackson), 7 pm, at Legion Field, 3173 Mill St., Covington. Presented by the Newton County Arts Association. For more information, visit www.NewtonCountyArts.org.
• Movie Night in the Park with Disney’s “Encanto,” 7 p.m., Denny Dobbs Park, 6244 Hwy. 212 North. Free community event hosted by County Commissioner Demond Mason. Bring lawn chairs. For more information, visit https://www.facebook.com/taro.d.mason.
Saturday June 11
• Diner en Rouge, 7 p.m., Legion Field, 3173 Mill St., Covington. With live music, food and fellowship. Organized by Covington Area Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. Proceeds will be donated to scholarships and community programs. For more information and tickets, visit www.caacdst.org/dinerenrouge.
• Ninth Annual Jazz in the Village Concert, 7 p.m., Porter Memorial Gymnasium, 2201 Main St., Porterdale. The event benefits the Washington Street Community Center. The Dinner Club restaurant will provide food. For more information and tickets, visit www.washingtonstreetcommunitycenter.org or speak to a member of the WSCC Board of Directors.
Monday, June 13
• The Allen Memorial United Methodist Church at 803 Whatcoat Street in Oxford will host a Holiday Bible School June 13-17, 5:30-8:00 p.m., for children in kindergarten through fifth grade. The theme is “Food Truck Party: On a Roll with God”. Dinner and activities will be offered every evening to participants free of charge. For more information or to register, please visit our VBS website: https://allen-memorial-united-methodist.mycokesburyvbs.com/.
• Advance voting until June 17 for the second round of the general primary election at the Turner Lake Banquet Hall, 6183 Turner Lake Road SW (only location). Features Congressional candidates and other statewide candidates who did not receive a majority of votes in the May 24 general primary. Voters will have to vote in the same party primary as in the general primary on May 24. If there is no opposition for a party’s candidates, voters will not receive a ballot. For more information, call 770-784-2055 or visit https://www.co.newton.ga.us/167/Board-of-Elections-Registration.
Thursday June 16
• The third annual Newton County Sheriff’s Office Back-to-School Golf Tournament will be held June 16 at Ashton Hills Golf Course, 10400 Eagle Drive, Covington. Pre-registration now available. For more information, call 404-550-5815 or 770-883-0324 or email [email protected]
Saturday June 18
• June 16 Parade, Pageant and Celebration for Legion Field, 3173 Mill St. The parade begins at 10 am, followed by a celebration with music and vendors at Legion Field, and a pageant. Visit www.georgiajuneteenth.com for more information.
• Covington Farmers Market, 9-11 a.m., 1143 Oak St. SE. First and third Saturday until October. Vendors are needed. Visit covingtongafarmersmarket.com to download a vendor application and for more information.
Sunday June 19
• June 19 Contest Finals at Legion Field and All White Father’s Day Bash at Under the Stars Banquet Center at 872 Moore St., Oxford. For tickets to Bash, call 740-755-1807 or 404-861-0707. Visit www.georgiajuneteenth.com for more information.
Monday, June 20
• Vacation Bible School, June 20-24, 9 am-noon, Abiding Grace Lutheran Church, 5500 Hwy. 212 Covington. “Zoomerang” is the theme of this VBS for ages 3 to 10. Space is limited for this free event. Register at vbs.abidinggrace.com. Call 770-385-7691 for more information.
Tuesday, June 21
• Runoff election for congressional candidates and other statewide candidates who did not receive a majority of votes in the May 24 general primary. Voters will have to vote in the same party primary as they voted in the general primary. If there is no opposition for a party’s candidates, voters will not receive a ballot. For more information, call 770-784-2055 or visit https://www.co.newton.ga.us/167/Board-of-Elections-Registration.
Saturday June 25
• Wildlife Day at Turner Lake Park. Fishing, outdoor exhibitors, games, archery, wildlife demonstrations, reptiles, door prizes and free hot dog lunch. For more information, visit https://www.facebook.com/NewtonCountyParksandRecreation.
Saturday June 25
• The Newton County Community Band presents a Patriotic Celebration Concert June 27 from 7-8 p.m. at Legion Field, 3173 Mill St., Covington.
Tuesday, June 28
• Kappa Koffeehouse Public Meeting, 6:30-9pm, MadLuLu, 2021 Main St., Porterdale. With Doreen Carter, State Representative for District 92, and representatives from the Georgia Department of Economic Development and the Rockdale Economic Development Council. Hosted by the Covington-Conyers Alumni Chapter of the Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity. For more information, email [email protected]
Wednesday-Thursday, June 29-30
• The Emergency Preparedness Course is scheduled for 12:00-1:00 p.m. June 29 and 6:00-7:00 p.m. June 30 at the Turner Lake Complex, 6185 Turner Lake Road. Hosted by the Newton County Emergency Management Agency, it will include information on how to make a home emergency plan, prepare a home for an emergency, and receive informational alerts via CodeRed.
Sunday July 3
• The town of Porterdale will celebrate the country’s independence with music and a ‘Light Up the Sky’ fireworks display in the historic town center beginning at 5pm. Kona Shaved Ice, the Funnel Cake Guy and Grubbin’ Out will be among the food vendors. The music starts at 7 p.m. and the fireworks at dusk. For more information, call 770-786-2217 or visit https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100069363003053.
monday july 4th
• Oxford 4th of July Parade and Celebration, 10am, starting on Haygood Street behind Oxford Baptist Church and ending near the Old Church. The registration deadline for participation is June 27. Event organized by the City of Oxford and the Oxford Lions Club. For more information and to register, visit www.oxfordgeorgia.org/July4thParade.aspx.
Submit your event information to [email protected] or mail it to 1166 Usher St., Covington, GA 30014.